How to Change Netflix Region
Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services on the market today. But their library doesn’t always have everything users are looking for; their movie library has shrunk by over a third since 2015. But just because Netflix doesn’t have a film in your country doesn’t mean that it’s not available in other regions. If you want to access all that Netflix has to offer in every country, learn how to change your Netflix region to access even more shows and movies.
Why change your Netflix region?
Each country has its own copyright laws, royalties, and licensing agreements. Because Netflix has to adhere to these rules and regulations, their content differs depending on location. Netflix is available in over 190 countries, but each country has its own catalog of content, including original movies, licensed films, and television shows.
Therefore, there are some movies and shows that you simply can’t access on Netflix because of where you live. There’s no way to buy a subscription for another country or add these items to your streaming library. Changing your Netflix region is the only way to access other countries’ streaming libraries.
To be able to access any streaming library, you need to use a virtual private network, or VPN, to change your IP address. This makes it seem as if you’re in a different location, subsequently giving you access to the Netflix catalog of whatever country you appear to be in at that time.
Though the US has the largest repository of Netflix content, not all content is available even there. If you’re looking for additional content to view, you can access it through a VPN. Just select a server in the correct country and you can gain access to movies and shows you can’t watch in the United States.
How to change your Netflix region using a VPN
The best, and easiest, way to change your Netflix region is with a virtual private network. VPNs channel your Internet through an intermediate server, hiding your actual IP address and replacing it with a different one. They also encrypt your traffic, which makes it so your Internet service provider and others online can’t monitor your activity.
To know how to change your region on Netflix from any location, follow these instructions:
- Download and install a reliable VPN.
- Log into the VPN and connect to a VPN server in the country of your choice. Depending on the VPN you choose, the process for this may differ; visit your VPN’s website to find out how to choose a country for your specific VPN.
- Visit the Netflix website. Because you’ve connected to another country’s VPN server, you’ll be automatically redirected to that respective country’s Netflix site.
- Log into your Netflix. Your login information shouldn’t change, so log in just as you normally would to view your favorite shows and movies.
For specific instructions on downloading a VPN and setting it up with your Netflix account on an iPhone, Android, or TV, check the sections below.
How to change Netflix region on iPhone
To change your Netflix region on an iPhone, first launch the Netflix app and sign in. Then, follow these steps to access Netflix content in another country using a VPN.
- Go to the App Store and find a reliable VPN app.
- Download it and install any necessary software.
- Set up the VPN through the app and log in.
- Select a VPN server and connect to it.
- Return to your Netflix app to access content.
How to change Netflix region on Android
To change your Netflix region on an Android, open the Netflix app and sign in. Then, follow these steps to set up your VPN and use it for Netflix.
- Find a VPN app in the Google Play store.
- Install it along with any other necessary software.
- Log in to your VPN account.
- Change the country you want to connect to and connect to that VPN server.
- Return to your Netflix app and check that you can access content.
How to change Netflix region on a smart TV
To change your Netflix region on your smart TV, set up the VPN on your TV and all apps – including Netflix – will go through it.
- Find a VPN app on your smart TV’s app store.
- Install the app and create an account to log in.
- Once logged in, select the region where you want to be located.
- Return to your Netflix app and check that you can access the correct country’s content.
Finding the best VPN for changing Netflix region
When choosing a virtual private network, you want to make sure you select one that is both fast and reliable for hassle-free streaming. Furthermore, make sure the service you choose focuses on security and privacy; these are two important qualities of a good VPN.
With that in mind, consider looking for a VPN that meets the following criteria:
- Works well with most popular Netflix country catalogs
- Has an extensive list of servers
- Is known for providing reliable, uninterrupted access
- Uses strong encryption and other security features
- Does not log user activity or IP address information
Though it may be tempting, don’t use a free VPN. Not only are free VPNs unreliable and unsafe, but they also do not have the same fast speeds and data limits as paid VPNs. Many free VPNs don’t have the ability to unblock streaming channels like Netflix.
Recommended VPNs for changing Netflix country
If you have no idea where to start when looking for a virtual private network, we have you covered. Check out these virtual private networks for changing your Netflix region:
- NordVPN – NordVPN is a reliable VPN that provides fast, secure connections. They have a vast network of servers in over 60 countries, which makes them ideal for picking a different country’s streaming library.
- ExpressVPN – ExpressVPN works well with Netflix and other streaming services. They offer fast connection speeds and end-to-end security.
- Cyber Ghost – Cyber Ghost is a good option; they let users surf the Internet anonymously, regardless of country.
- SurfShark – SurfShark works well for switching between international Netflix libraries. They have no connection limit, good security, and reliable speeds.
Frequently asked questions
Does Netflix show different content in different countries?
Yes, Netflix shows different content in different countries because of licensing and copyright restrictions. As these vary by country, Netflix’s streaming library also has to change.
Can you use Netflix in multiple regions at the same time?
No, you can’t use Netflix in multiple regions on a single device because that device can only have one IP address assigned to it at a given point in time. However, you can use the same VPN to connect to servers in different regions. Therefore, if you have multiple devices, you can theoretically connect to two different regions at once.
How does Netflix know your location?
Netflix uses IP address information to confirm your geographical location. They also use this information to check who is in your Netflix Household as per their updated password sharing rules.
Is it legal to change your Netflix region?
Yes, it’s legal to change your Netflix region using a VPN as long as your country allows VPNs. Some countries, such as Russia, don't allow citizens to use VPNs to view restricted materials.