I have a wireless ISP, have had it for years, live in a rural area. Awhile back another wireless ISP popped up with 'faster speed'. so I switched, only to find out the latency, for gaming, was horrid. I switched back.
Prior to switching, I had the same IP since signing up with my ISP. Now after re-upping with them, I have a new IP, according to this site, it says 199.[b]
Is this correct, or should my router show the same IP as what 'whatismyip' shows? How can I correct this issue? If I change the 172.22.3.6 to 199.[b]
My problem is that I have a homeserver.com address setup on my home server, and ever since re-upping with my current ISP, When I try to access my web address, the address in my address bar stays as to what it should, but a web site of edgeos comes up.
Is this something I can correct on my end, or is it something my I need to contact my ISP about?
my whs2011 server automatically updates the DNS information, and I notice it is updating it to the 172.22.3.6, and since my Ip isn't actually that, I believe that is why I am no longer able to connect.
It appears that, previously, you were not using an "internal" network IP. Your old/first ISP had you direct-connected to the Internet. Or your router did.
There are certain groups of IP addresses reserved for internal networks. Internet-compliant routers and switches won't process them. They just drop the traffic. 172.22.3.6 is in one of those groups.
Your router is using something called Network Address Translation. Basically, it accepted the non-reserved IP, 199.[b]
Anyway, an Internet game server would see you connecting as the 199 address. You're correct that the whs2011 isn't able to connect for exactly this reason. It doesn't realize that you're "natting" through a router.
Two broad options: Manually tell the whs2011 what the correct IP is, or find a way to connect direct to that public IP. There are a few different paths to get there.