IP, VPN, or Proxy.

karinalyn asked 3 years ago

I don't know anything about the Internet, or detection of IP addresses. Someone mentioned that I need a VPN...But... I read about proxy's and I think that's what I need.
Can you help me?
I live in Upstate NY, and work online for a company in Wyoming.
I work at home.
My plan is to get a visa to live in Canada with my wife who is Canadian. My job says no problem, but I have to work in the USA because of tax reasons. Their company doesn't understand taxes for Canada. But....they don't understand that I will continue filing American taxes because I'm keeping my home as my home office until I retire.
But, they go by the book.
Crossing the border everyday is too much, I'm 58, so, I want to cross maybe once a week, and work at my NY home one day out of five.
Most people say as long as I do the job and claim my house as my work place, I should be fine. But my coworker has warned me that they go by the book.
Can I set up a proxy as my home in New York, and when I'm in Canada they see me as being in New York? Or how does it work? My wife has her own internet in Canada for personal use. So, I'm looking into jet packs, mifi's, and on the go Internet in the USA....but.....I'm not sure what I need or who to ask. VPN was mentioned to me, but, I read that doesn't work either.
Thank you for your help

1 Answers
wimiadmin Staff answered 3 years ago

The easiest step first would be to try and work from your Canadian location. If it works (and it should), then there's no need to over complicate things.

If it doesn't work, then you will need a VPN. And you can do this one of two ways. A VPN service like VyprVPN or hardware that's discussed in the following article. https://www.howtogeek.com/221001/how-to-set-up-your-own-home-vpn-server/

I'm going to add a note about taxes. Individuals are responsible for reporting necessary incomes to appropriate agencies. WhatIsMyIP.com does not condone avoiding taxes by informing users how to manipulate their online location.

Know the answer? Login or sign up for an account to answer this question.
Sign Up