Hi, thanks in advance for anyone that can help me. I’m havjng trouble reaching a specific website from my computer. I’ve tried everything to correct it: reset router, flushed DNS, ran multiple trace routes with it failing at the same place. I even contacted the company who hosts the IP where it continues to fail and they told me they don’t block IPs, and I contacted th website owner too and they also said they don’t block IPs. I can reach the site if I use a proxy website... I have a dynamic IP and the only thing I have not tried is obtaining a static IP from my ISP.
We never had an issue reaching this website prior to about a month ago...
Are you trying to reach the website from the same device on the same network each time? Try accessing the website from a mobile device or laptop that uses a different connection. If you're able to access the site from a different internet connection, then it could be something with your IP. However, if you're not able to access the site from a different device or different network, then it could be how you're trying to connect. Examples of this are script files or older browsers. If you're trying with an updated browser like FireFox or Chrome, and you can't get through to the site on any network, it could be a plugin you have installed like an ad blocker. Although an ad blocker would not cause a tracert to fail. Sometimes tracerts fail because devices along the way don't report by design. This isn't always the case though. Let me know how trying to connect from a different network or device goes and we can go from there. -Brian
Thank you for reaching out. Yes, it is on the same network every time. We have tried from different devices and different locations/networks. I can get to it from my iphone and from my home network, but this is at our office and it will not connect. I can however use a proxy website and reach it, so that's why I'm suspecting it is an IP issue. I thought maybe it was a DNS issue (not that I'm very familiar with these) but when I attempted to change the DNS settings it did not correct.
Hi Maria. Glad to help. You're probably right in thinking that it's an IP issue. From what you've tried, I would lean toward thinking the IP is blocked somewhere along the way. You can try running your IP through our Blacklist Check to see if it shows up. If it does, perhaps they're using that blacklist to protect their site and don't realize they're blocking your IP. -Brian
So I checked and my IP is not blacklisted... I’m at a loss at this point because it appears as if there should be no reason why I can’t connect. Any more ideas I could try?
Wow. The only other suggestion I can make is to try using a different browser. Websites can ban based on the UserAgent presented via the browser. Example, if you're using Chrome, try going to the site via FireFox or Explorer to see if that works. If that doesn't work, could the network admin be blocking access to the site. Employers often times block sites like facebook or youtube so employees don't waste their time on those sites during biz hours.
If the network admin does not have the site blocked and you cannot get to it using a different browser, then I can say with almost 100% certainty that it's related to your IP. You could try calling your ISP and see if they'll change your IP.
We’ve tried other browsers and I am the employer. 🙂 Thank you so much for your help. I am going to call the ISP and see if they can change it.
Glad to help Maria. Good luck with getting this resolved. -Brian