Advice for dealing with changing IP addresses

IP Address Questions and AnswersCategory: IP QuestionsAdvice for dealing with changing IP addresses
chickenscuttlemonkey asked 4 years ago

This might be kind of a long post, so I appreciate any helpful advice. Basically, I'm having an issue involving my constantly-changing IP addresses and a finicky server that has a list of allowed IPs. I work from home and from our main office, uploading media files to various FTP servers for digital music companies. I don't have any problems connecting to the other servers, as the connection requirements are nothing more than basic login information. However, this one server absolutely requires an IP address on the "allowed IP" list, which for me is an issue because I work from two different locations. I suppose I could simply request that they add the second IP address to their list, but the issue with that is their heinously delayed response time (the time between sending them my home IP and their informing us of its permission to access their server was over two weeks). I'm not too particularly knowledgeable about running an FTP server, so for all I know that could be standard procedure. In either case, I'm reluctant to simply go ahead and request a second IP address be added to their server because of recently acquired knowledge that IP addresses can change almost on a whim. One solution I came up with is to keep setting static IPs when I change locations, but I'm not sure if that's a sustainable solution. Another idea I had was to use two different computers from here on, as 85% of my necessary data is on an external hard drive, and the other 15% can easily be moved over. I am by no means an expert in FTP delivery or IP addresses, so I am fully appreciate of any direction.

1 Answers
Shnerdly Staff answered 4 years ago

Thanks for your question chickenscuttlemonkey.

If you are with a Cable Internet service provider, your IP address should not change unless you change the first device connected to the Cable Modem. If you are on a DSL or FiberOptic service, you can request a "sticky" IP which means your IP won't change unless you change modems.

As far as working from two locations, that should be a simple fix as well. It may take them 2 weeks to respond to your request but the time it takes to add the IP to the Allowed IP list is a matter of seconds. It requires adding the IP to a file and possibly restarting the FTP service. Having hem add the second IP would be the easiest solution.

Another solution would be to setup a VPN connection to your already approved IP location. Then when you work from a remote location, you connect to your primary location by VPN, then to the FTP server and it will recognize the connection from the approved IP. VPN's can be challenging to setup though.

FYI: VPN is Virtual Private Networking. It creates a private tunnel between two locations essentially making the remote client appear to be at the same location as the VPN Server.

Know the answer? Login or sign up for an account to answer this question.
Sign Up