It is extremely important to know if your device been hacked. With so much of our information housed on smart devices, it's no surprise that hackers are targeting our phones to steal our data. Moreover, from text messages and emails to calls and social media, smartphones are the ideal gateway to our sensitive information. Therefore, it's important that you know the signs of a phone hack and how to prevent future hacks. Here, you will read how to identify and protect yourself from a phone hack.
How your device can be hacked
Consequently, there are several ways hackers can gain access to your smart device. Some of the most common methods include:
- Spyware. This method allows a hacker to collect your data by monitoring your phone's activities remotely. A spy app is easily accessible for even the most novice hacker.
- Phishing. By clicking on a link from a suspicious text message, email, or social media DM, you may unknowingly download malware, malicious software that can steal your information. Hackers often conduct this method through fake public WiFi networks.
- Downloaded malware. You can unknowingly install malware on your device by simply visiting a questionable website or clicking on untrustworthy pop-ups.
How to know if device been hacked
While hackers try to go on unnoticed. There are some telltale signs that your phone compromised. Here are some of the warning signs to look out for:
- Applications acting abnormally (opening/closing independently or crashing)
- Unexplained messages, calls, pictures, or applications
- Slower than normal device performance
- Rapid depletion of phone battery
- Your data usage increases significantly
What to do if your device been hacked
If you are experiencing any of these issues with your smartphone, it is certainly time to take action. Follow these steps if you believe someone has hacked your device:
- Remove all suspicious software
- Immediately change all passwords
- Inform friends and family to ignore any suspicious messages, calls, or emails coming from your device
- Restore your phone to factory settings
- Install mobile security software
Alternatively, you can take your device to a phone store where they can perform a diagnostic test to detect and remove any malware.
How to prevent from being hacked
While it's important to recognize the signs of a hack. It's imperative to protect yourself from any security threat in the first place. Here are some simple ways to secure your smartphone from hackers:
- Utilize the password protection on your phone and keep it locked whenever it's not in use
- Never leave your phone unattended
- Don't connect to untrustworthy public WiFi networks
- Keep your Bluetooth off when not in use
- Regularly search your phone for message or calls that you didn't send or apps that you didn't download
- Never open suspicious messages, emails, links, or files
- Don't visit unreliable sites
- Stay up-to-date on OS updates
- Install anti-malware software onto your device
Because we conduct so much of our lives through smartphones, it is now more critical than ever to protect ourselves from hackers. By knowing how your hacked, if your previously hacked, and what to do if your hacked. Consequently, you can take the security of your information into your own hands.
Signs My Device May Have Been Hacked - As a user of technology, it is imperative that you protect yourself and your information from a hacker. Hopefully, you've already taken steps to keep your devices secure.
Ways to Prevent Hacking - Hacking is a major problem. Here are 21 ways to prevent hacking through email, social media, cell phone and privacy settings.
Three Simple Ways to Boost Online Privacy - The ability to boost online privacy is more important than ever. With widespread hacks occurring on a regular basis, now is the time to protect yourself.